Spaghetti with Raw Tomato Sauce
“Life is a combination of magic and pasta.” Frederico Fellini
What It Is
I came across that little gem by Fellini while trolling for sayings for my “Quotes from the Masters,” and I thought it would be the perfect intro for the pasta sauce recipe I have for you today.
This is a raw tomato sauce (sort of a salsa), so garden fresh tomatoes and herbs are essential to its quality. With only five ingredients (plus salt and pepper) and about 15 minutes, you can create a crowd pleasing pasta sauce–with no cooking required!
It’s almost like magic.
Bring It Home
Spaghetti al Pomodoro Crudo
4 medium to large tomatoes, roughly chopped ( you want about 6 cups)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and put through a garlic press
1 cup chopped basil
1 cup chopped parsley
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined (but still chunky, not mushy). Add salt and pepper to taste. (I use about 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper.)
Cook 1 lb angel hair pasta in salted water (it cooks in about 2 minutes–don’t over cook). Strain well and transfer to a lovely serving bowl. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss thoroughly. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Mangia!
My food processor is teeny-tiny, so I make this in batches and mix it together in a large bowl.
You can use gluten-free rice noodles to make this a gluten-free dish.
Toasted pine nuts make a delicious dairy free/vegan topping.
There are many variations to pomodoro crudo. It can be made with crushed red peppers, capers, grated onion, black olives, lemon, and/or chunks of fresh mozzarella. Feel free to experiment!
You can let the sauce rest for 20 minutes to an hour before serving to let the flavors meld, but my recipe is packed with so many seasonings that I use it right away, and it’s plenty tasty. Besides, by the time I get around to cooking dinner, we’re all very ready to eat .
- Spicy Penne Pasta Salad With Tomatoes And Artichokes (romancingthebee.com)
- Pasta Recipes Made Healthy (everydayhealth.com)
- Simple, Quick Tomato Sauce (frugalhausfrau.wordpress.com)
- Heirloom Tomato Spaghetti (theepochtimes.com)
- Posted in: Main dishes
- Tagged: Cook, dairy free, food, Frederico Fellini, garden, Garlic press, gluten free, Italian cuisine, Italian recipes, Olive oil, Pasta, pasta sauce, pomodoro crudo, raw tomato sauce, simple pasta sauce, spaghetti, spaghetti al pomodoro crudo, Tomato, Tomato sauce, vegan, vegetarian